First director of the New Jersey Commission for the Blind which had offices in Newark at 14 James St (now Audible). Became director in 1910. Was blind herself from a childhood farm accident, and advocated for not segregating the blind. She retired from the director’s role in 1937. At the time of her retirement the organization was still headquartered in Newark.
Cummings, Charles. “Behind every successful city, there are many great women”, Mar 2, 2000
“NJ Blind Led By Sightless Women” Trenton Times Feb 16, 1930
“Head for Jersey Board for Blind Appointed” Trenton Times Jul 2, 1937
“Miss Hayes is Dead Pioneer In Blind Aid” Trenton Times Feb 9, 1943
H-16, Hayes Lydia, Newark News Morgue, Newark Public Library